Doing Jazz Vocals at Conservatorium Maastricht means you choose to spend an intensive period developing your individual talent. You will develop as a musician, working together in a band, combo or choir, or in close harmony projects.
The supporting curriculum aids this development and gradually adds challenges: writing charts, solo transcriptions, scat-singing/improvising, writing your own songs/lyrics/compositions, forming your own band/ensemble, leading a band, performing live in exams, jam-sessions, gigs, and more.
The combination of individual attention, an international group of students, and a curriculum with substance will inspire you to achieve your full potential. Our diverse team of vocal teachers will enable you to choose and develop your own path in creating and performing music, working on any of the countless ways to develop your voice; range, dynamics, sound, belting, blending the registers, posture, breathing, grounding, resonance, diction, interpretation, and carrying and delivering a tune.
In the Bachelor’s programme, you will focus on traditional jazz; swing, ballads, bossa/Latin and - last but not least - the blues. You will be encouraged to write your own tunes in a style you love (pop, folk, soul, (new) jazz, funk). Over the course of the four-year programme, you will develop and define your own profile and vision as an artist and singer in the sense that, from among all the styles imaginable, you will find your own music.
Before you apply
Share your un-edited video recording links in the portfolio. Videos should be uploaded to your YouTube channel ( if you don’t have one, make one). Set your videos to ‘unlisted’ so only you and we can see them. IMPORTANT: DO NOT send the actual video(s): ONLY LINKS to the video(s)
- Videos should have good audio quality, where we can hear your playing very well. You can make separate short videos or one longer one.
- The candidate presents him/herself in English at the start of the video
- The video is maximum 10 minutes long
- The video shows you, singing the necessary repertoire
Singing three recital pieces of contrasting character, to be chosen from the following styles:
- Candidate's own composition
- Jazz standards
- Latin jazz
Please note: the recital pieces must be performed from memory.
Extra notes from the vocal department
A video from a phone is good - you don’t have to book somebody for a professional video. A recording from a concert is also fine - so we really want to see you make music - the way you like it.
Interesting for us vocal teacher is:
- The music YOU love
- Ballad or Blues
- Some scat-singing?
- Do you compose yourself? - then show it :-) - and no prob if not
- In the motivation letter you can tell us about why you want to study and what you wish for your development during studying. In your musical biography you write about your teachers, instruments you learned, concerts or combos – tell us the important music-steps you took.
What you also need to know
- Intervals - scales – chords: performance of all intervals within the octave and the common three- and four-note chords
- Singing all major and minor scales
- Sight-reading: sight-singing to a satisfactory standard (jazz-specific)
- Improvising a simple variation
- Prima Vista: Prima Vista singing to a satisfactory standard (jazzspecific)
In case that your material is selected you will get an invitation for an online theory test and if necessary, an online meeting with the main subject teachers.