Over the course of this 4-year Bachelor’s programme, we will systematically guide you in acquiring basic and specific improvisation techniques such as chordal and scale-based improvisation, chromatic approach, bebop scales, pentatonics, hexatonics, permutation sequential, motivic playing and more.
You will be trained in applying the various improvisation techniques to different situations, e.g. playing standards, pop and world music, explore the history of the saxophone and its leading players, and learn how to transcribe and analyse solos.
The programme will also help you to develop a solid, efficient and healthy playing technique, focusing on posture, air, embouchure, fingers, as well as finding a proper saxophone/mouthpiece/reed set-up.
Depending on your level and musical vision, the learning process will be individualised to help you develop a personal sound, style and profile.
The Saxophone team consists of permanent main subject teachers and guest teachers, as well as doubling teachers for flute and clarinet.
Before you apply
Share your un-edited video recording links in the portfolio. Videos should be uploaded to your YouTube channel ( if you don’t have one, make one). Set your videos to ‘unlisted’ so only you and we can see them. IMPORTANT: DO NOT send the actual video(s): ONLY LINKS to the video(s)
- Videos should have good audio quality, where we can hear your playing very well. You can make separate short videos or one longer one.
- The candidate presents him/herself in English at the start of the video
- The video is maximum 10 minutes long
- 3 standards from the real-book repertoire recorded with a play-along or a band.
- These standards should include a medium/up swing-tune, a latin-tune and a ballad and should be played by heart.
- The technical quality of the video is not the most important, recording it with a smartphone is sufficient.
In case that your material is selected you will get an invitation for an online theory test and if necessary, an online meeting with the main subject teachers.